Another happy Meatless Monday!
Today I wanted to share a fresh, savory and interactive meal the entire family will love: Poblano Pepper and Portobello Mushroom Fajitas. These simple and vibrant fajitas will be on the table in minutes and provide your family with a nutritious, customizable, and fun evening together without spending too much time in the kitchen prepping or cleaning afterwards. These fajitas can be made spicy (by including the jalapeño and poblano peppers) or mild by leaving them out. Try incorporating sautéed corn and different colored bell peppers as well as experimenting with the various varieties of mushrooms at your market. I love to top mine with fresh guacamole and salsa!
To hear me talk about the health benefits of mushrooms and exciting ways to incorporate them into your everyday meals on Let’s Talk Live, click: HERE
Poblano and Portobello Fajitas
Makes 6 Servings
- 2 poblano pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 4 bell peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño, seeds removed and thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 yellow onions, cut into thin rounds
- 4 large or 8 baby Portobello mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean and thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon each: Sea salt, cumin & garlic powder
- 2 tsp. A1 steak sauce (for mushrooms, optional)
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- Optional: fresh red onion, hot sauce, cilantro, salsa
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add a dash of olive or coconut oil then the onion and peppers. Season generously with salt, cumin and garlic powder.
- Cook until softened and slightly caramelized, stirring often. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, then add the mushrooms. Season with a bit of salt and once softened and brown add a dash of A1. Remove from heat, set aside and cover.
- Prepare guacamole by adding avocados to a bowl then adding the lime juice and a generous pinch of salt. Fresh cilantro and onion is optional.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or oven and you’re ready to go. Serve tortillas with peppers and onions, mushrooms, guacamole and any other toppings you desire such as salsa, hot sauce, and cheese or sour cream (for non-vegan).
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat: 12.4 g
Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 566 mg
Carbohydrate: 51.7 g
Fiber: 9.6 g
Sugar: 11.5 g
Protein: 9 g
Calcium: 105.3 mg