Hello there! If you’re reading for the first time or just stopping by for the fun, I’m doing a “Happy Holidays” wellness challenge to help you cultivate more health and happiness the rest of 2014. Catch up on the details on how to join and win the prizes. Or if it already sounds like a good idea, sign up below.
De-clutter Your Life
Welcome to the first ‘fun’ post of the challenge! Now, I know de-cluttering may not sound like a blast, BUT an organized space can make a huge impact on your general well being so that you can ultimately have more fun.
When our living/working space is cluttered, our minds tend to feel cluttered as well. This prevents us from being fully present in the moment, feeling happy, and having fun – see the connection now?!
While the act of de-cluttering might seem like work, a tidy space feels great once you’re done! Plus, it’s been shown that a messy space can increase secretion of the stress hormone cortisol, so cleaning up will also reduce your stress levels.
You can do it challenge: Pick at least one space: home, office, life -wherever- and declutter it. Once you start, you can’t stop.
4 Easy Steps to a Clutter-Free Space
- Schedule Time – Whether it’s your office or your living room that needs to be de-cluttered, you are going to need some time to do it. Set aside a few hours over the weekend or designate a few 20-30 minute blocks of time over the span of a few days. Whatever your schedule is, stick to it.
- Gather Supplies – You’ll need trash bags, boxes, and maybe some storage bins to sort all your belongings. Have these on hand before you start.
- Sort, Sort, Sort! – Make 3 piles: keep, give away, and maybe. Reserve the maybe for items you are really unsure about.
- Keep Pile – Neatly return the items you are keeping to their appropriate spots, or use your storage bins to organize and store them.
- Give Away Pile – You can donate clothes, appliances, books, and many other items to local charities. Throw away anything that is broken or no longer working.
- Maybe Pile – Make final decisions about the items in this pile within a few days – don’t let it sit around for too long! If you’re having a really hard time deciding, ask yourself what it is that makes you so unsure and what you think the benefits are of keeping it.
- Bask in your Newly Organized Space – Once you’re finished, enjoy the feeling of an organized, clutter-free space! You’ll feel relieved and happier once everything is in its place and you aren’t surrounded by too much stuff.
Get My “Healthy Kitchen” Refresh
Would you like to “refresh” your kitchen? Get my guide for clean and organized refrigerators, counters, and cupboards. It’s a $99 value and absolutely free of charge to you when you sign up for the challenge. If you’re already in the challenge, the link is in your email for 11/10. If you can’t find it, e-mail me.
If you’re not “officially” in the challenge yet, what are you waiting for? Sign up below. You’ll get weekly emails, along with my free guide to making over your kitchen with healthy food staples.
Challenge Your Friends
People do better with support from friends. (It’s a scientific fact!) Ask your friends to join you by sharing on social media or just send them this e-mail with the link to subscribe to the challenge.
Facebook: Join me and Rebecca Scritchfield for a free 60-day wellness challenge. Get healthier and happier this holiday season. http://wp.me/p2T0R-20c #HappyHolidaysChallenge
Twitter: I’m taking the #HappyHolidaysChallenge with @ScritchfieldRD. Join us http://wp.me/p2T0R-20c