I love when the cooler weather hits and its time for jeans, sweaters, and warm comfort food. Chili has to be the ultimate in comfort foods. I love that you can’t mess it up. Just about any combination of veggies, beans, and lean protein will work. You can season it from sweet with maple syrup and molasses to spicy with jalapeno and poblano peppers to smoky with chipotle in adobo.
The one I’m giving you today takes advantage of canned beans, corn, and tomatoes along with fresh carrots, celery and onion. Meat lovers will get their “fix” from some ground lean turkey in the dish, but this would do fine vegetarian style too. Just replace 1 can of black beans for the turkey.
The best part is that it only takes 30 minutes start to finish.
Turkey, Chickpea, and Bean Chili
Serves 8, 1 cup each.
Preparation and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 C chopped red onion (about 1 small onion)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/3 C chopped, seeded poblano pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 t dried oregano
- 1 t ground cumin
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can corn, rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can lower sodium chicken broth
Optional For serving:
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- Greek yogurt, sour cream, or shredded cheese
- lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add turkey, onion, carrot, celery, and poblano.
- Cook for 5 – 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the turkey is cooked.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 2
- minutes. Add chickpeas, kidney beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook, uncovered, for 15 – 20 minutes. If chili is too thick,
- add more broth or water until it reaches desired consistency.
- Serve with cilantro and fresh lime wedges.
Nutrition Information per serving:
Saturated Fat: 0g