Have you been sending your kids to school with a healthy lunch? My latest “U.S News Eat+Run“ post is about simple ways to pack a nourishing lunch without breaking the bank or spending too much time in the kitchen.
The key is creating a healthy plate (1/2 veggies and fruit with the rest a mix of lean protein and whole grains) and stocking up on essentials to make your prep work easier in the morning. Having the necessary tools on hand will ensure your kids are getting the proper nutrition for healthy growth and development.
Healthy plate items to stock up on from the post:
- plain yogurt (add some cinnamon for a great dip),
- low-fat cheese sticks/ sliced cheese like cheddar for great protein- and calcium-rich snack options.
- canned chunk light tuna for easy prep
- low-sodium soups (like black bean or minestrone)
- whole-grain crackers
- wraps or bread
- brown rice (check for frozen or shelf-stable varieties that cook in minutes)
- fruit cups with light syrup or no added sugar (be sure to drain before serving)
- nut butters
- jam made of 100 percent fruit.
For recipe inspiration and the full article: Reading, Writing, and Radishes: Fueling Up for School