Did you know beans can be an inexpensive substitute for meat? They provide healthy protein and iron like meats (along with carbohydrates and fiber).
From the World’s Healthiest Foods website… try this pinto bean and collard greens recipe.
Add a flavorful twist to your collard greens by combining them with tomatoes and pinto beans. Using canned beans also makes this recipe quick and easy. One serving provides you with 1740% of the daily value (DV) for vitamin K and 536% DV for vitamin A. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: Prep and cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ lbs collard greens
- 3 TBS + ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 3 TBS olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion and garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- Remove stems from greens, rinse and chop. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat 3 TBS vegetable stock in large sauté pan. When the broth begins to steam, add onions, and Healthy Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable stock, tomatoes, and pinto beans to the onions and garlic mixture and bring to a boil. Add collard greens and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in olive oil and lemon juice. Serve hot.